Sunday, September 09, 2012

Whipped cream disaster

I haven't posted for quite a while, and i'd like to apologize for that. So here's my newest entry.
I know the title is not so optimistic, but trust me there is a rainbow after the rain. Hihi..

So me and my friends, my design street friends, were suppose to be joining a some kind of a street fair here and we were going to sell cupcakes and cookies. But unfortunately the fair was cancelled. :(
I was up till three in the morning baking my contribution for the supposedly fair. Well, my fault since I started really late. I baked cherry Coke cupcakes and milky malt cupcakes which I'll be posting here really soon. I also made additional fondant topper for our chocolate cupcakes with fondant topper variety. 
I did this last so by then I was a little tired and sleepy.. 
I did the rest of the red angry bird toppers that I have prepared the day before and was ready to make the blue one since it is the easiest when I realized I took the wrong fondant bucket. The bucket contains no white fondant or blue, but only pink!
So I tried doing the new character of the angry birds which is the pink, a girl.
It was a little complicated because of the eyelids and the lashes but...



I managed to pull it off! 
I know its not yet perfect, it needs a lot of polishing but hey! 
What do you expect from someone who's doing this with her eyes half close. hehe

After that I decided to sleep first and just finish the frosting of my cupcakes first thing in the morning.

First thing in the morning.
I did the frosting for the milky malt cupcakes first and it turned out perfect. On to the next!
I'm suppose to use whipped cream. But since all purpose cream is way cheaper, I used that. I've been using APC for all my baking that requires whipped cream and it always turns out great.
Unfortunately I forgot to chill it first.
(this is the part where I share to you the lesson learned)

TIP NUMBER 1: always chill your all purpose cream first before whipping.

so unmindful of that I placed my mixing bowl on top of another bowl filled with ice and water and started beating it with an electric mixer.

TIP NUMBER 2: chill your mixing bowl and your whisks. This I also forgot.

I was whipping quite long and notice that the thickening of the cream is very slow. So I added more ice. Since the kitchen was a little warm.

TIP NUMBER 3: place your mixing bowl on top of another bowl with ice.
TIP NUMBER 4: in climates like we have here in the Philippines it would be helpful to whip creams in an airconditioned or cold room. But this is not necessary IF you have done TIPS 1 to 3.

But i just did #3 after almost 2 hours of holding my electric mixer, my arms got sore, so instead of having a fluffy cream i end up with this.
I decided to place my buttercream frosting in the hope of making it thicker.

TIP NUMBER 5: combine whipped cream with enough amout of butter cream to help hold the shape.
But still to no avail.
so my cherry coke cupcake turned to this 

instead of this :(

And then I received the message that the fair was cancelled. Oh man!
But lucky for us we have a back up plan. We will just deliver our goods in a local coffee shop where we also sells our cupcakes.

Uhu! We sell cupcakes as SUGAR RUSH DESSERTS! Hihi
Jack of all trades we are. Hehe. (or rather Jill's)

We are designers slash bakers slash entrepreneurs and most important of all we are friends and enjoying life!

Hope you learned something from my disaster!
Till next time!

P.S. we are not professional bakers, we just know some basics and enjoy baking and are trying to learn on the way.

1 comment: